Tsarina's World

The musings, rants, and general complaints of a schoolteacher in the MidWest. I have no real social life, which sucks for me personally, but makes my dog happy- he is the center of my universe! Come on in, take your shoes off and stay a while... who wants pie and coffee?

Thursday, July 28, 2005

You CAN go home again...if You're an Idiot

My great aunt's memorial service was today. It was held in the town where I grew up; I'll call it Hell. It occurred to me yesterday that because her daughter was in my class at school (and she was pretty popular), I would be seeing some of my classmates at the service. Well, as I was the complete opposite of popular, this realization caused me some stress. I dealt with it like the mature professional that I am: I got extremely drunk. Not "dancing on the table drunk", but well on my way toward that. I believe that somewhere around ts 3 (tequila shot 3), I decided I was just going to stay out all night and go to the funeral in my bar clothes. Fortunately, I reconsidered this idea.

I did have the foresight to take some Alleve before I went to bed, so at least my head didn't hurt like everything else. Alarm goes off, hand hits snooze. I pry one eye open and look around- my own bed, always a good omen. There didn't seem to be anyone I didn't recognize next to me- things are looking up. After a shower and some coffee, I was feeling almost human again, and got ready to go. The service was to start at 11, so I left at 10: plenty of time. Well, I forgot to take into account the fact that our dumbass governor has approved six gazillion road construction projects, so I pulled into the church parking lot at 10:59.

The first thing that struck me was that the minister looks EXACTLY like the actor, Edward Norton...exactly. I didn't recognize anyone, and was feeling pretty good, when a woman approached the podium to say a few words. She began talking about the dearly departed, and I kept thinking there was something familiar about her. Suddenly it struck me...Rita Walters. Fuck me with a chainsaw- of all the people I didn't want to see ever again in my life, Rita would definitely make the top five. In spite of being ugly and not exceptionally bright, Rita was a cheerleader and graduated in the top 3 of our class. She was always unusually nasty to me. Looking back, I have no doubt that she felt insecure, because she knew that I was much smarter than her and if I'd chosen to apply myself, I would have blown her top 3 spot.

After Rita, two other bitc..er women spoke; each brought the same reaction from my intestines. I felt the knot forming in my stomach that was my constant companion throughout my entire life in Hell. Suddenly, I wasn't a competent, intelligent adult with a successful career and a life that brings me much joy. Instead, I was 16 again; I felt insecure and awkward, like nothing about me was good enough to measure up to them. They all had money, they all had 'perfect' (or at least fairly normal) families, they dressed well and only had jobs to give them money for fun stuff. Even today, they were all expensively-dressed and carried themselves like women who are used to getting everything they want.

These were the 3 ringleaders whose soul purpose in life was to torture me. I never let them see how much they hurt me- usually my only response was something akin to "fuck you, you inbred gutterslut" (yes, I DO have a way with words, thankyou). My senior year was the worst of my life- my friends were all older, so I was stuck for 7 hours a day with these cun...er girls. I still wonder what exactly I did to make them hate me- this wasn't just bitchy girl stuff; this was actual hatred. I never dated their boyfriends, beat them in any sort of election or sport, in fact, I tried to maintain a presence slightly under everyone's radar. While they were planning dances and parties, I was working 30 hours a week. While they were sending out college applications, I was listening to the counselor tell me that I shouldn't worry about college, because I would just end up pregnant and on welfare like my sister anyway (but, if I'd let him feel my tits, he'd help me fill out an application anyway...I figured out how to fill it out myself).

It seems ridiculous to me that seeing them again has brought back feelings that I haven't felt in years. A long time ago, I made the decision to put that part of my life behind me and not dwell on it. I rarely think about them; I instinctively threw away my class reuinion invitation without giving any of them a second thought. So why is it that these women, who have (hopefully) matured and changed can make me feel so inadequate? I couldn't bring myself to stay for the luncheon: I made some excuse and left so as not to have to talk with them. My hands shook as I put the key in the ignition and got out of the parking lot as fast as I could.

There was a whole group of kids (25 in a class of 62) who took great pleasure in my pain, but these 3 and one guy were the worst. I don't have bad feelings about him because of an incident that occurred about 5 years after graduation. I saw him at a bar one night and he asked me to talk with him for a minute. Reluctantly, I sat down, and he began one of the most heartfelt apologies that I have ever heard. He told me he was teaching near Chicago, and after being around his students, he understood what a horrible bastard he had been. He said that he knew he didn't deserve my forgiveness, but he wanted me to know that when he saw things like that happening, he told his students how awful he feels about what he did. When I looked at him, I knew he was being truthful, and I felt such a relief in my heart. I hugged him and told him that I did forgive him, and I thanked him. Two words made such a huge difference.

My mom said they asked about me at lunch. Maybe they wanted to apologize too, but I don't think so. Something about the way they looked me up and down as I walked past, then gave me that smile...you know, the smile that doesn't quite reach the eyes, so it looks hollow. I realize I should try to find compassion for them...I should. I'm just not the person I want to be, because I just can't feel that. It was about 6 years after I left Hell that I finally got rid of the knot in my stomach: I was there for 1 hour and it's back.

One of my friends has a sign in her class that says, "People will forget what you say, but they will always remember how you made them feel". I guess that sums up my day.

4 Comments:

  • At 11:49 PM, Blogger JamDaddy said…

    Ewww, the nasty girls. I can feel your pain. I dealt with those kind of girls and guys but never was the one being hurt. I usually got to give it back and flowed easily from one group to the next. I know the type. I am always amazed at how long the things they and other do can affect people. You have such a wonderful way of describing a really crappy situation that I got a lump in my tummy just reading it. I guess all the trauma you suffered has made you the wonderful teacher you are today. It may seem like a corny thing to say, but you have a huge impact on the kids you counsel and the lives you change.

     
  • At 9:54 AM, Blogger Tsarina said…

    Thanks, JD. I believe that everything happens for a reason, and I hope that I'm a better teacher (and person) for having dealt with them. I am very grateful for the friends I have who care for me, both face 2 face and in the Land of Blog!

     
  • At 11:06 AM, Blogger Derek said…

    I guess I'm pretty lucky that I didn't really have to deal with this. In elementary I was mostly a cool kid. Not so much at the end, but I still sorta was. It was such a lie though, everyone thought I was this smoking bad ass. Not quite..

    But in grade 9 I had to deal with a lot of crap. I 'punk' I guess, or whatever you wanna call it and I go to a rich school (most of the families are well off anyways) so that was seen as grubby and lame. (meanwhile now the lastest style is torn jeans, and everyone is wearing studs.. yet then no one was, so me and my friends got shit thrown at us and stuff yelled.

    I didnt really care though. I kind of just laughed and felt bad that some kids could be so out of touch with the world.

    They loved to chant wal-mart too me and my friends. I guess because walmart is 'poor' or something. So one day I got a big piece of paper, wrote WAL-MART in huge letters and taped it to my shirt. I wore it around school the whole day. They never called us wal-mart after that.

    And now 3 years later, I'm on pretty good terms with them and really get along with pretty much everyone.

     
  • At 6:57 PM, Blogger Traci Dolan said…

    Wow, that reminds me of my freshman year in high school. I understand exactly what you mean. Yet, you have nothing to be ashamed of... EVER! To hell with them... fuck 'em.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home