Tsarina's World

The musings, rants, and general complaints of a schoolteacher in the MidWest. I have no real social life, which sucks for me personally, but makes my dog happy- he is the center of my universe! Come on in, take your shoes off and stay a while... who wants pie and coffee?

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Education, Politics, etc

Something most of you don't realize about me is that I am extremely outspoken in my real life about my political views. I don't put that in here, because quite frankly, it's nice not to have to defend my opinions to anyone else. Jam Daddy and I are polar opposites politically, but he's always been very respectful of my views, and expresses his own in a polite manner. The following rant is political. Read it or don't read it- I wrote it for myself. If you disagree with this, that is fine- that is YOUR opinion, and you are free to write your own blog and share it. You are welcome to tell me that you disagree, but do so with respect. This is, after all, MY blog, and one thing I love about being an American is that I'm free to express my opinions.

Ok, I've just broken one very important rule for those of us who work in public education...I figured up my salary as if I were being paid hourly. Boy, that puts things into perspective. I figured the 11 hours I'm at school a day, plus the (conservative) estimate of 10 hours on the weekend, plus the (again conservative estimate) of 20 hours a week I've been putting in so far this summer and assuming this will continue (actually, in August, I will be meeting with my team twice weekly, which will up the total), and not counting meetings...

I make $8.76 an hour.
Dear Mr. President,
I am an educator in a large, urban school district. I love my job and my students and I'm grateful and honored to have been given this opportunity.
The reason for this letter, sir, is that it has come to my attention that I actually make about the same per hour as the 17 year-old working at Taco Bell. Obviously, no one goes into teaching with the intention that they are going to make a lot of money. I simply felt that you should be aware of this fact. You see, I remember you promising to make education a priority, sir. I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but by paying me the same as someone at the drive-thru window, aren't you telling me that my services are valued on an equal level? The message (and correct me if I'm wrong), that I get from this is, while it's convenient for me to be there, you could easily fill my position if I were to leave.
Unfortunately, sir, this is also the message that my students are taking away from this. They used the computer skills (which I taught them) to access public records about the salaries of our district employees. They discovered that the head custodian makes almost $10,000 more than most of their teachers. They talked with him and discovered that in addition to not attending college, he did not graduate from high school (although it should be noted that he did get his GED at a later date). Well, sir, imagine the glee they felt in telling me that attending college was not necessary: in fact, many felt that high school was a waste of their time.
Sir, perhaps in some schools, this would not be a problem. In families where parents are highly educated, they make their child's education a priority. In my district, however, we do not have that luxury. Many of our parents struggle to put food on their tables. You see, most are unemployed or underemployed. I believe that you and I can agree that if these parents were better educated themselves, the situation would be better. Due to many different circumstances, this is not generally the case. I will not stand and point fingers and say that these problems are someone else's fault. Honestly, sir, I DON'T CARE WHOSE FAULT THEY ARE. I just want solutions.
I want you to stop focusing all of our time and money on death and destruction. I want you to start actually LISTENING to the UN. Just so you know, sir, America is NOT the only country with positive ideas to contribute. We can and we do make mistakes. We need to own up to our mistakes, apologize, and move on. We can not continue pumping money into outdated ideologies and one-dimensional world perspectives. Sir, we need to bring the young men and women who have risked everything HOME. When you've done that, sir, we can actually start focusing our attention and our money on other things. Things like social programs to help young people with babies become the parents that their children deserve. Or, how about programs to encourage young people to stay in school (studies have shown that when women are better educated, the unplanned pregnancy rate drops).
By raising the income level of those of us who work with these students, you are demonstrating to them that our services are valuable. You are telling them that we have something more important to offer them than a taco and a Pepsi.
Perhaps I am a bit naive, sir, but it seems to me that in the long run, by improving education in our country, you will be improving life in the world. ***Imagine if you will, thirty years from now, a young woman is being honored for helping solve the world's hunger problem. When speaking, she mentions that she came from an economically disadvantaged background, but that because education was valued, she stayed in school. Because her parents and her teachers were supportive, she worked to put herself through college. Because her peers had been told by their parents that having children as a teenager would limit choices, she did not get pregnant. Now, she was able to solve a crisis affecting the world. Maybe one of the children she saved from starvation would grow up to do great things also...
Life is a cycle, sir. Everything we put forth will return to us one day. Let the United States put forth a generation of educated, compassionate young people.
Thank you for your time,
Tsarina

7 Comments:

  • At 12:40 AM, Blogger JamDaddy said…

    Dear Tsarina,

    I understand your frustration with the education system in this country. As a frontline worker you have done the math and can see how poorly your school, school board, local government, and State are using the resources provided to educate the children of today. If these people were employed in private industry they would be fired for pushing so much work down to the lowest levels possible and getting so few results. Programs like NCLB are in place to force these organizations to become more efficient and if they can’t and/or won’t do it we will step in and try to do it for them. Local resistance is great and educators do not always understand that efficiency is better for them and the children but we have to do what we can with the resources we have. Imagine what you could do with fewer children, better trained teachers, more resourceful administrators, and better reporting structures. Maybe spend more time teaching and less time in meetings and after class doing tasks not directly related to your passion – education the youth of today.

    Simply paying more will not fix the problem. If you made more money you would not have a better school, the other teachers would not perform better, the administrators would not be better, and the funds would not be dispersed in a student friendly manner. Most importantly your quality of life will not improve and you will burn out at a young age and may quit teaching one day. The solution is to fix the system, provide the best environment for students and teachers, and balance your work and personal life. A little more money will help, but hey if the kids are not happy and you are not happy I bet another $1 and hour or working fewer hours will not make much difference.

    Now, about your other wishes. America is the greatest country the world has every known. Not only should we strive to help you and your children but we must work to improve the lives of those in other countries. This is not always a glamorous job, but we are trying to improve lives everywhere. The money spent on our efforts in other countries may seem like a large amount compared to your salary, but compared to the GNP it is a small price to pay. To put it in perspective we have spent less in Iraq than the yearly revenue of Wal-mart. Big numbers look scary, but in today’s economy that kind of cash gets spent quickly. Most of the Fortune 25 have cash flows of over a $1B every week and that is just the top 25 in the USA. On a global scale this is money well spent. Imagine the relief those student are feeling now that they have teacher who can safely spend as many hours as you in the classroom teaching. Who knows, maybe we can even get them to adopt NCLB, I feel a new world order coming on…

    Kisses, LOL!

     
  • At 10:18 AM, Blogger Derek said…

    amen Tsarina.

    jamdady.. my perspective of america seems to certainly disagree with yours.. oh well.

     
  • At 11:52 AM, Blogger Tsarina said…

    JD- You're back!!!! All I had to do was write something to get you riled up??? I know that you've thought your position through, as have I, and I'll choose to respect yours although I disagree. I'm so glad to hear that you're alive and well.

    JD & Derek- Don't misunderstand; I DO love my country...which is why I think it's imperitive that I question its leaders when their decisions don't make sense to me. Buddah said, "Do not believe a thing simply because you are told, even if I have said it if it disagrees with your own logic".

     
  • At 3:33 PM, Blogger Traci Dolan said…

    Inspiring and interesting post.

     
  • At 12:03 AM, Blogger JamDaddy said…

    I will just say I agree in principle but not in method. My job causes me to look at things on a macro level and not micro. I love teachers but not the overall education system. I love the UN but not the lack of action because things don't get done and people die. I fix large scale programs in my job so micro (read feet on the street) programs have a chance to succeed. I guess my view is more top down but I can understand the bottom up view since those are the people who should ultimately benefit. I like Buddah, but my team meetings always include Sun Tzu.

    Oh, and I am going away again to handle my macro work, lol. See you in July.

     
  • At 10:29 AM, Blogger Rita said…

    Just a short comment on the disbursement of money:

    The public school system will NEVER be fair until funds are spread evenly. Schools draw funds from property taxes, so schools in upperclass neighborhoods will ALWAYS have advantages over schools in poor neighborhoods, or neighborhoods that are mixtures of private/commercial property.

    The money comes from homeowners, and the differences appear because of the huge discrepancies between the haves and the have-nots.

    Always has been.

     
  • At 11:07 AM, Blogger Tsarina said…

    OH RITA!! I knew I loved you- I wrote a paper on the 'class-ism' of public education while in college. My suggestions included taking all the money and disbursing it on a per-child basis. While my professor loved the paper, it is not an idea that would be easily sold in downstate Illinois, where Chicago is seen as a parasite on the state.

    JD- I'm sorry that you have to work so much-- I've been consuming enough Margaritas for both of us! Come back soon. Hope you and the wife are both feeling better!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home