Tsarina's World

The musings, rants, and general complaints of a schoolteacher in the MidWest. I have no real social life, which sucks for me personally, but makes my dog happy- he is the center of my universe! Come on in, take your shoes off and stay a while... who wants pie and coffee?

Friday, January 07, 2005

No Title

Every fall, students walk into my room. Some try to act tough, like they don't want to be there, and they hate me for being there. Some try to make me feel good by staring attentively and smiling at me. Some try to hide- from me, from their peers, and often from themselves. These students all listen to my talk about rules and consequences. They hear a lot about respect and attitude. They don't really care- I know this, but I do it any way.

Within the first week, some of their personalities start to emerge, and I start to get a sense of these students as individuals. They start to grow on me. I begin to remember most of their names on sight. They begin to smile more often. The tough kids are a little less so in the room- they even laugh once in a while.

Within the first month, they stop being students and start being MY KIDS. I know their names- even the ones who hide in the back. They begin to open up to me, and I begin to take on their feelings as my own. Often it is exhausting. But, I continue because I can see that for most of them, I am getting through, and they feel more comfortable. There are still some whom I'm not reaching, and I work harder to try to reach them.

By the end of the first grading period, I can look around the room without a list and tell you who is absent. I can tell if one of them is having a good or bad day by their body language. They have accepted the fact that they are going to listen to James Brown, Tchaikovsky, or obscure Latin jazz music- depending on my mood. They are no longer startled when I pat them on the back as I pass by. I think that most of them realize how much I care, and they like me for it.

At the end of the first semester, I can't imagine that I will ever have a group of kids as great as this one. I know their favorite music and movies- their best friends and boy/girlfriends. I look at sonogram pictures with 14 year-olds who don't understand why the life growing inside them doesn't look like a baby yet. I cheer when braces come off. Sometimes they drive me crazy, but always I love them.

All of this is overwhelming. Sometimes it can be so painful. Sometimes they make choices that will devastate their lives, and others, and all I can do is watch. Sometimes they recover from these choices, but in my experience, this is slow to occur. I know it is important to focus on the good that I do, and not dwell on the failures, but these are kids- they are not statistics. They are all born with unlimited potential, but by the time they reach me, most of them do not realize this. The world has told them differently, and most do not have the confidence to argue. Our society has told them that they will never be successful, and they believed it.

I have 110 students. They are all special to me. They all need something from me- a kind word, a hug, a shoulder to cry on, a smiley-face sticker (yes, even with urban 8th graders, these are very popular). In their defense, they do give a lot back to me- they give me a kind word and a hug when I'm having a bad day. They make get well cards when I'm sick, and thank me when I do something extra for them. I still function on an emotional deficit most of the time. When one of them is really in trouble, it taxes my reserves even more. Tonight I feel like I'm hollowed out- I don't know that I can give anything else to anyone. I want to be selfish and wallow in my own sadness. I want to cry and drink cocoa and listen to sad music. Why do they do these things? They are only children- not old enough to drive or vote, yet they can make choices that will alter their lives forever. I just can't talk about this any more- good night.

5 Comments:

  • At 11:17 AM, Blogger Derek said…

    very well written post. Made me kida upset when I got to the end. something bad musta happened, and im really sorry to hear that..

    keep your chin up and keep on trying, its the best thing you can do for them.

     
  • At 12:51 PM, Blogger Traci Dolan said…

    :-( Oh boy, that's sound like trouble and a broken-hearted Tsarina. Whatever it is... just remember that you can only do so much, and it is by our choices that we learn and you can't make decisions for other people, no matter how much you want to. No matter how bad it looks right now, it COULD be worse. It can always be worse. *HUGS* (Oh, and I commented below too.)

     
  • At 1:03 AM, Blogger JamDaddy said…

    Hugs Tsarina! Funny thing about responsible adults and their kids, they always operate at a deficit. There are great times and there are incredibly sad times. Just like working with anyone you never see all of your great advice and love right away. It sits and ages like a wonderfully fragrant wine and then one day when they need it the cork pops and they do the right thing and enjoy the wisdom you have bestowed. However like most of us kids make the wrong decisions a lot. These are the immediate things you get to see, this is when you have to be there and give all you can give. I know the feeling, that is one of the reasons my house is like a teen hangout. Kids need direction, they need understanding, and they need someone to be there when they fall. Sometimes they fall away and you no longer have any control or input into their lives, but you have to know you have left them with that little bottle of wisdom, mellowing and aging one day to be called upon when they most need it. For most people they say or do something one day and go damn, that is exactly what my Dad used to do, or this is how my Mom did that, or they do something that reminds them of someone important in their lives. That is simply sipping the aged wisdom that someone bottled years ago. No matter what happens to your kids or how hollow you may feel in the short term you are giving them the tools they need for life. Enjoy your cocoa.

     
  • At 1:05 AM, Blogger JamDaddy said…

    Hugs Tsarina! Funny thing about responsible adults and their kids, they always operate at a deficit. There are great times and there are incredibly sad times. Just like working with anyone you never see all of your great advice and love right away. It sits and ages like a wonderfully fragrant wine and then one day when they need it the cork pops and they do the right thing and enjoy the wisdom you have bestowed. However like most of us kids make the wrong decisions a lot. These are the immediate things you get to see, this is when you have to be there and give all you can give. I know the feeling, that is one of the reasons my house is like a teen hangout. Kids need direction, they need understanding, and they need someone to be there when they fall. Sometimes they fall away and you no longer have any control or input into their lives, but you have to know you have left them with that little bottle of wisdom, mellowing and aging one day to be called upon when they most need it. For most people they say or do something one day and go damn, that is exactly what my Dad used to do, or this is how my Mom did that, or they do something that reminds them of someone important in their lives. That is simply sipping the aged wisdom that someone bottled years ago. No matter what happens to your kids or how hollow you may feel in the short term you are giving them the tools they need for life. Enjoy your cocoa.

     
  • At 8:16 AM, Blogger Rev. Kimberly Rich said…

    I hope it has gotten a bit better Tsarina. I don't know who did what, but I really hope it is something that can be fixed. I hope you enjoyed you coco and got some much needed rest.

    Love and Light

     

Post a Comment

<< Home