Tsarina's World

The musings, rants, and general complaints of a schoolteacher in the MidWest. I have no real social life, which sucks for me personally, but makes my dog happy- he is the center of my universe! Come on in, take your shoes off and stay a while... who wants pie and coffee?

Friday, September 10, 2004

Oh, What a Beautiful Morning

At 4:30, a slight click, then Bob Marley's "One Love" start my day. It's a beautiful song, and a great way to wake up. I hit the snooze once so I can listen to the entire song, then I climb out of bed to start my day. The dog refuses to open his eyes yet, so I have no demands on me at this time of the morning. I start the coffee on the way to let nature flush the toxins from my body. I wash my face and hands, then pour some coffee and load it with creamer.

As I leave at 5:30, the sun is only beginning to make itself known. Driving east, I'm awed by the beauty of a light fog over the golden brown cornfields as the sky slowly changes from lavendar to peach and yellow before the first rays of sunlight appear. As I drive, I think that this is what Heaven must be like. In the distance, I see a red light that has never been there before. It is a stoplight- the bridge is down to one lane as road "construction" has begun on it. A minor annoyance, but I hum to myself as I wait for it to change. And wait. And wait... After seven minutes, I decide it is broken, and begin to go. Suddenly, there is a car barrelling through and I am forced to retreat about six feet to avoid a head-on collision. I slip through, and continue on my journey, shaken but still content; it's Friday, and all is well with the world.

Six miles down the road, there is a sign that says that no passing zones aren't striped for the next 15 miles. No biggie; there aren't many people on the road at this time, and I'm not in a rush. Suddenly, there is a loud rumbling from the tires, and the car is lurching back and forth. A flat tire I think. But, no, the top layer has been stripped down to the "Rough Grooved Surface" as the next sign tells me. Forced to slow down, I'm a little peeved, but hey, these things happen, right? The road is stripped all the way to where I turn off, although the construction ends fifteen feet past my exit. "Fuckers" I mutter, and continue on my way.

I'm going a few miles over the limit, trying to make up for lost time when I see yet another unfamiliar red light in the distance. "You have got to be fucking kidding me," I say aloud as I am forced to sit at another one-lane road for four minutes. On my way again, as I finish out my fifty-mile drive by catching every light on red and being directly behind some jackass who rearended the guy in front of him. No one looked hurt, so fuck 'em, I had to go. By the time I reached school, I was swearing like a fucking sailor at anything and everything I saw. I walk into my room, and Nina bops in, looking like an Ivy League Barbie. "Good Morning! Isn't it a beautiful day?" She chirps in that fucking annoying way of hers. I mutter something and she continues with her chipper babbling. I realize then that I will cut out her vocal cords with a spoon one of these days- it's inevitable. Oh, did I mention, she lives exactly two blocks from the school? When I'm leaving for work, she's dreaming of the good ship Lollipop, or some such shit. Thank God for Dena, who lives an hour away, too- she slinks in, coffee down her blouse and gives Nina the stinkeye. Nina is oblivious, and Dena and I exchange a look that I know means she will help me hide the body.

Happy Friday, everyone.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:20 PM, Blogger JamDaddy said…

    Now I know what Shirley Temple must have been like when she was an adult. Great descriptions!

     
  • At 12:16 PM, Blogger Tsarina said…

    Thanks- I really do think Nina is great, I just need a little time to mentally prepare myself in the morning, and her Chatty Cathy routine makes me crazy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home