Tsarina's World

The musings, rants, and general complaints of a schoolteacher in the MidWest. I have no real social life, which sucks for me personally, but makes my dog happy- he is the center of my universe! Come on in, take your shoes off and stay a while... who wants pie and coffee?

Sunday, August 29, 2004

Night Before School

School starts tomorrow!!! I spent the better part of the day putting the finishing touches on my classroom. It occurred to me that in my own school days, I never paid attention to the details of my classrooms. My teachers had probably agonized over where to place each poster, and what colors to use on the bulletin board. Yet, I never gave it a second thought. I never considered the fact that she had spent her free time (and limited money) decorating that room for me. I guess that's the nature of being 13- being oblivious to everything around us. I don't care if they don't notice every detail; I have to spend most of my life for the next 9 months there, I want it to feel warm and inviting.

I talked to my friend, Diana, over the weekend. She is teaching at a school near Chicago. She has well over 30 kids in her classes. I just don't understand why politicians don't realize that it is impossible for one person to give every student the attention that they deserve when there are that many in one room. How can you teach when you spend most of the class trying to maintain some semblance of control? I realize that the research is "inconclusive", but ask a teacher if children learn better in a class of 30 or a class of 20. Any teacher who wants to do a good job will tell you the fewer kids in a room, the better the chances of helping them understand material. One of my friends, who is from another country, was shocked to learn that the people in charge of education in this country are not necessarily trained as educators. From local school boards on up, there are limited numbers of people with degrees in education who are making decisions for America's children. I think it's like having me sit on a hospital board and say, "You should be saving more people. If you don't start doing that, I'm going to take over". Ridiculous, eh? (Although with my clumsiness, I have spent a lot of time in hospitals).

Anyway, I'm ranting again, and I need to meditate to get some good energy flowing before tomorrow. Good night everyone, I hope you all have a wonderful day.

7 Comments:

  • At 12:15 AM, Blogger Derek said…

    Good luck tomorrow! I have a week and a 2 days left till i go back.. eek!

     
  • At 2:15 AM, Blogger JamDaddy said…

    I can remember helping my mother cut out things for her bulletin board. She agonized over how the classroom looked also. I hope everything is as wonderful as you expect it to be. Have fun with the kids and make them cut out things for the classroom as punishment. I hated it as a kid, but Mom made me do it for hours it seemed.

     
  • At 2:45 PM, Blogger Rev. Kimberly Rich said…

    Good Luck from me as well although your first day is by now almost over. I want you to know that as a young person I did notice all the cool things in the room. LOL. I loved those posters and boards. They always gave me something to focus on when I needed to clear my mind for a moment. I know why we pack our kids in like cattle hun. The answer is sad and frightening though. I may tell you some day but not here or now. There those who would think I am nuts.
    love and light

     
  • At 8:02 PM, Blogger Tsarina said…

    Thanks all! I had a really amazing day (knock wood)! Overall, the kids were really great, and I can see a lot of potential in all of them. Many of them did comment on the room in a positive way, so that made me like them even more! I'm sure I'll be writing about them soon; for now, I'm off to bed. I want you all to know that your good wishes really do touch me, and I appreciate you all soooooo much more than I could ever say. *HUGS*

     
  • At 8:45 AM, Blogger Nord said…

    Ok, by now, your first day will be over, so I hope it all went well. It's great to see that you really care for the kids and what they think and want to help them, we need more people like you.

     
  • At 8:41 PM, Blogger Tsarina said…

    Aw, shucks, *blushes*... when I get some time, I'll blog about my week- let me just say- I LOVE LOVE LOVE MY KIDS!!!! JD was right- what the hell was I worried about? There are a few that might be challenging, but right now, they are soooooo great!

     
  • At 12:36 PM, Blogger Derek said…

    Where the heck are ya!?

    3 more days till my first day, NO!

    haha, remember when i was talking about how i hurt my neck at that show (head bangers whip lash) i was searching around the net today and found a pic of me at that show.. its only my head, but still, i feel special!

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/beyorownstar/BLN/Sarnia/a1e4936a.jpg

     

Post a Comment

<< Home