Tsarina's World

The musings, rants, and general complaints of a schoolteacher in the MidWest. I have no real social life, which sucks for me personally, but makes my dog happy- he is the center of my universe! Come on in, take your shoes off and stay a while... who wants pie and coffee?

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Idle Chatter

I'm just going to ramble for a while and get out some of the thoughts which are clogging my neural pathways.

I have orientation meetings all week. I've been trying to find something to wear tomorrow; all the bigwigs are going to be there. I don't know why uber-annoying people seem to gravitate toward me- I spent today trying to avoid one girl who set my teeth on edge. Usually, I consciously try to feel compassion for others, and I can usually find something positive about anyone. However, she is sooooooooo overbearing and rude that I'm having a great deal of difficulty. Being in a new school is hard, but I've made a couple of friends, so I am feeling better and less awkward. My class is looking great! I feel like I'm bragging, and I'm not trying to, but it makes me feel good when people come in and tell me how nice it looks. I've never been anywhere that the teachers were as supportive as they are thus far. I think we all feel really invested in the school, because we only have two more years to fix all the problems before the No Child Left Behind Nazis take over. I normally don't voice my political views here, but, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, if you value education for ALL children, DO NOT vote for George W. this fall. Not that I think anyone else will be much better, but he is destroying our schools. I don't know if lower-income schools will survive another four years of him. Ok, I'm going to bed now. Sweet dreams all.

3 Comments:

  • At 11:17 PM, Blogger JamDaddy said…

    Funny how different career's cause you to look at Government actions. From my vantage point Bush is doing a great job and I like the NCLB. Working with the Federal Govt I prefer Bush to Kerry and think schools would suffer under Democratic leadership. However, I still think overall it is the parent's lack of interest in education that makes the difference. We have moved around a bit and when I go to school events like "field day" or some other activity at the great schools I see 50 parents helping. At the schools on the "needs improvement" list I see 10 helping. However that does not mean the teachers are to blame. They can't fix everything having to do with a childs learning. Maybe when some parents see moving their kids makes no difference to the child's learning they will open their eyes and support their local school.

     
  • At 11:56 PM, Blogger Michael said…

    One of my best friends is a teacher -- extremely knowledgeable about the education system, and the Bush administration. He could write you a million reasons why the latter is killing the former.

     
  • At 10:23 PM, Blogger Tsarina said…

    JD- I think it's unfair to put all of the blame for the problems on parents. Yes, many of them had children that they could not afford, but they still love them and want the best for them. Many times, when you see low parental involvement, the parents themselves had negative experiences at school, and are uncomfortable there. There's also the fact that many of them work at jobs where they can not take off work to attend school functions. The fact is, if we had social programs in place to help teach people HOW to parent, we would have many fewer problems with kids in schools and later on in their lives. I think we will have to agree to disagree about Bush AND NCLB, which I feel is stupidly blind to the needs of anyone but white upper class children. I'll forgive you for your views- after all, no one can be perfect, eh? ;)

    Everyone else- Thankyou! Like I said, I usually try to avoid political crap here because I get tired of hearing about it. However, sometimes I can't contain my opinions.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home