Tsarina's World

The musings, rants, and general complaints of a schoolteacher in the MidWest. I have no real social life, which sucks for me personally, but makes my dog happy- he is the center of my universe! Come on in, take your shoes off and stay a while... who wants pie and coffee?

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Random Ramblings

Sigh, finally a (relatively) calm week. We still don't have a math teacher on our team. Amy applied to transfer, but HR is dragging their feet. She's an excellent math teacher (a rare find), and our old school does not want to let her go so close to their classes starting.

I have to admit, she did really upset me last night, though. J was with us and she began saying things that you should not say in front of someone's significant other. She started telling him about a guy I used to sleep with, even though I kept telling her that he didn't want to hear about it. He really doesn't, just like I don't want to hear details about his previous trysts. It's not that we are jealous, we've just discussed it and think that it's not important. She said a few other things, acting like she was joking, but she knew what she was doing.

She's feeling really unhappy lately: she finally has had to open her eyes to what we've all known for over a year. They guy she's been "seeing" is really using her for her money. As long as she buys him whatever he wants, he calls her and allows her to take him to dinner or a movie (always out of town). Unfortunately, since her divorce has been finalized, she doesn't have access to the same amount of cash as before, and she has to tell him no more often. His calls are less frequent and less friendly. Also, her son has been spending most of his time with his dad, as dad's new girlfriend has kids around his age, and dad has a pool. I know she's lonely and she envies J's devotion to me, but I feel like I finally deserve someone who's good to me. She should be happy. I was happy for her when she first met this loser and was giddy with joy. I'm going to have to talk to her about this.

I have to admit, J not having a steady job is draining me. He works, but he makes little to nothing because he allows people to underpay him. He's currently working for a handyman service, and makes about $60 a day, although sometimes those days are 10 hours. Needless to say, we depend mostly on my income, and I'm beginning to resent it. I know he's applying for jobs, but nothing seems to come from it. The job market is really tight here for blue-collar jobs, and he has no desire to be trained for anything else. I want him to have a job he likes, but I honestly wish he'd just find SOMETHING.

I have so much work to do for school. We have a 3 week break coming up in Sept, and I can't wait!!!! I like my job, and the kids, but the beginning of the year is always hard. I've got 2 classes that I can relax a little and have a little more fun. The algebra kids are, as usual, the most difficult. They are so used to looking things up in a book and filling in the blanks that it takes them a long time to adjust to me. I always tell them that I don't want them to memorize facts and spit them back at me- I want them to think for themselves and go beyond the question at hand. Other kids are more willing to be creative thinkers, but these kids are so concerned with being "perfect" that they're afraid to take chances. It's sad, really, and I hope this group will come around.

Ok, work to do. Have a great weekend.

3 Comments:

  • At 12:31 AM, Blogger JamDaddy said…

    I hope you can motivate J to move up to something better. Not wanting to move ahead can really put a strain on things. However you probably already know after a certain point you really can't make major changes to someone. Good luck with this because I know it can be a hard thing to work through.
    Amy sounds like she was really being a Poophead. At least you can say you are having a good enough relationship to make other jealous. Rub it in, lol.

     
  • At 5:33 PM, Blogger Traci Dolan said…

    My, my, you have been through the ringer. I know it's hard with J not wanting to re-train. JamDaddy said it best.

    As for Amy... chah! Wench! Reminds me of something T-Bird would do. Hope you can impress upon her that real friends, don't do that shit. They put their jealousy aside for their friend's happiness.

     
  • At 5:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

Post a Comment

<< Home