Tsarina's World

The musings, rants, and general complaints of a schoolteacher in the MidWest. I have no real social life, which sucks for me personally, but makes my dog happy- he is the center of my universe! Come on in, take your shoes off and stay a while... who wants pie and coffee?

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Potpourri

Geez, how does the time get by so fast? We're about to start our third week of school already. I've finally got most of the names, but every day there is at least one new student in my classes. I'm going out with the girls tonight- it's been ages and I'm really looking forward to it. There is a huge festival downtown, and it's a great place to see former students. I need to go to the store and get some Citron for some special homemade lemon shake-ups.

Things have gone from bad to worse with John (and I believe James as well). J witnessed some suspicious behavior yesterday at the boy's grandma's house (where they live) involving John. When he asked one of their cousins what was going on, he confirmed that John was selling drugs. We brought them over here so he could talk with them. I was really pissed at James, who didn't seem to take his dad seriously, so I pulled him in the other room and talked with him while J talked to John. Every since he was in my class, James wants so badly to please me and to present his best side to me. I think that's why it's more effective when I talk about serious things to him than his dad.

I finally told him that I know he is not as innocent as he wants me to believe, and he started to cry. I explained that their dad had come home earlier crying because he's so afraid that his boys are on the same path his brother was (his brother died a year ago after a lifetime in and out of prison.). I explained that we all love John, but he's obviously too stubborn to learn from other people's mistakes, and it is stupid to tag along when you know what is going to happen. I asked him to promise me that whatever they're into, they would get out and stay out. He did....we'll see.

John was also picked up this week for something that happened before his most recent arrest. Apparently he was with another guy and John was driving when they had an accident and left the scene. The drama continues.

On the bright side, I'm really beginning to enjoy my classes. I've even been able to smile in all but one of them. I DO like the fact that they think I'm really mean (hehehe). I keep hearing that their teacher last year let them do this or that-- I smile and reply "Ok, thanks for the history note, but the answer is still no" (hehehe). Their teacher last year was also emotionally unstable after come from a wealthy suburban school into our district. She took early retirement.

I think you have to have a certain make-up to want to work with our kids. My new school is primarily African-American with 85% of students living in poverty. Most of the schools in the district are very similar. To me, it's such a challenge and such a rush when I reach them. When you see the look on their faces when they find out that they CAN be successful at something (like school) that has always seemed impossible to them. These kids need me. I've never liked being in the schools where the kids would have learned whether I was there or not. Sure, those kids need good teachers, but I don't have much interest in that. I love watching my kids go from thinking I'm out of my mind to believe that they can do something to the point where they're really proud of the fact that they did it. Most of them amaze me every day- after what most of them have gone through in their lives, just coming to school can be a monumental accomplishment.

Ok, I still need Citron, and the music and corn dogs await. Have a great weekend, and thanks for your continued prayers for my wayward lamb.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:37 PM, Blogger JamDaddy said…

    Is there any family John can be sent to live with, maybe someone out of state? That is my backup plan with Taybee and I have offered to do the same for other family members. Sometimes it helps to remove someone from their current environment. My father would take Taybee and he live in South GA.
    As Always teaching sounds like your joy. Glad classes are going so well.
    The Citron sounds good, hope you had one for all your friends.

     
  • At 8:36 PM, Blogger Tsarina said…

    Any of the family that would be a good choice doesn't want anything to do with John. I truly think that everyone has done as much as they can, and it's really up to him now. Maybe it's not fair that a child has that power, but that's the hand he was dealt, and he's got to play it. School is great- it's really my solace- well, that, blogging, and my special lemon shake-ups!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home