Tsarina's World

The musings, rants, and general complaints of a schoolteacher in the MidWest. I have no real social life, which sucks for me personally, but makes my dog happy- he is the center of my universe! Come on in, take your shoes off and stay a while... who wants pie and coffee?

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Unforgettable Birthday

In this circus that I call a life, I have learned that if you're on the brink of crying, go ahead and laugh it off. I laugh a lot. Let me share this year's installment of "Tsarina's Birthday of Doom": (cue ominous music)

The phone rang at 7:22 (yup, am...FUCKING A.M.). I should explain that J is a day laborer, so never knows exactly what to expect. It was him on the phone, asking me to bring his heavy work boots across town, as he was roofing. So, I drag myself into the car, still in jammies, and drove across town with his boots, which smell bad.

A few hours later, another call. One of the guys he was working with said I needed to come get him, as he was having muscle spasms. I thought he had pulled a hamstring, and was annoyed. Nonetheless, I changed from jammies and drove across town again.

When I arrived, he was in the front yard, convulsing like a crackhead on the corner. I tried to get him in the car, but drove only a block before he had to get out because it was too painful to sit. I called an ambulance, explained the situation, and we waited. And waited. And waited. After ten minutes, the firetruck arrived (I later learned that the fire station is ON THE SAME BLOCK as we were). The drivers looked concerned as they saw J in mid spasm. I quickly explained and they began trying to take his vitals.

An ambulance arrived, and they said it was probably dehydration. They left for the hospital. My car was across the street, so I went a different direction. I arrived 13 minutes before they did. We spent the next four hours in the emergency room as they pumped him full of fluids and took his temperature (he now knows what 'rectally' means!).

In the midst of all the commotion, he said, "I'm sorry I ruined your birthday". I smiled and honestly told him; "It's ok, it's not the worst birthday I've ever had".

2 Comments:

  • At 9:13 PM, Blogger Traci Dolan said…

    You know... it's honestly not the worth worst birthday I've ever had either. It could have been you having the spasms. *HUGS*

    Happy Birthday Tsarina.

     
  • At 8:49 PM, Blogger Derek said…

    oh dear..

    beats my bday thats for sure.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home