Tsarina's World

The musings, rants, and general complaints of a schoolteacher in the MidWest. I have no real social life, which sucks for me personally, but makes my dog happy- he is the center of my universe! Come on in, take your shoes off and stay a while... who wants pie and coffee?

Friday, December 02, 2005

Striking Sucks

Ok, the first couple of days were pretty cool. I slept late, enjoyed time with friends, and got in a little action that would never have happened if I had to work the next day. Now, I'm just ready to get back to work. I miss my kids, my boys are still in Chicago, and I haven't heard from them, and my bathroom is overrun with hamsters.

The saga of the hamsters began a few weeks ago, when two of my girls needed to find homes for their hamsters, which they assured me were both male. Not being one to look at a hamster's genitalia, I took their word. (Go ahead and laugh). Within a month, I came in on a Monday to find six squirming bundles of hairless joy. Immediately, I got Amy to take the male for her class, and let the kids watch the babies grow. After a couple of weeks, the babies were big enough to leave, so with parental approval, I planned to deliver most of them to students. I decided to keep one, that I named Quinten, after a student. On a Friday, I put the mom in a separate container with the smallest baby to allow him to eat, and I planned to deliver the rest on Monday. Again, I came in on a Monday to find four more squirming bundles. Apparently, mom was VERY FOND of one of her kids. So now, Quinten is in one cage, and mom and the new batch are in another one. As soon as those eyes are open, the little bastards are gone, along with mom.

There's also the problem that my insurance will run out on the 15th if we're still on strike. Have I mentioned that I finally got on my meds, and am much more stress-free?

Thank God I took James, John, Josh, and Jimmy and bought them new winter coats as an early Christmas present, and I've already bought John's birthday present. You should have seen them picking out coats- they've NEVER had brand new coats, and it almost made me cry to see how thrilled they were. The ones they picked out were actually pretty inexpensive, but they were so happy. I've found out a few things that break my heart about their early lives. Apparently, you may have heard about them being removed from Mom's custody a few years ago in Chicago. James seems to have forgiven her, and was really excited to get to see her this weekend when they go up for the funerals. I understand she was on drugs, but these are beautiful children, and I don't understand how she could hurt them. One little sister died, which was when they were removed and came down here with Dad and his family.

Anyway, I'm gonna go bathe and plan for another fabulous day of lounging.

Have a great day.

3 Comments:

  • At 5:00 PM, Blogger JamDaddy said…

    To truly lounge one must not bathe. Sit back, relax, and draw flies.

     
  • At 1:47 PM, Blogger Traci Dolan said…

    You are a Goddess...

     
  • At 3:36 PM, Blogger Derek said…

    I remember when my teachers went on strike. Had a nice vacation. Now I just wish some of em would perminately go on strike. post to come about my retarded teacher.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home