Tsarina's World

The musings, rants, and general complaints of a schoolteacher in the MidWest. I have no real social life, which sucks for me personally, but makes my dog happy- he is the center of my universe! Come on in, take your shoes off and stay a while... who wants pie and coffee?

Monday, September 13, 2004

No

When I get to school at 6:30, there are usually two or three other cars there. When I arrived today, there were over a dozen, one of them from the district Mental Health Crisis team. Someone was going to have a bad day.

I have held friends as they mourned the loss of their students, but I have never lost one of my own... until today. You would think I would've been prepared- urban setting, high crime neighborhoods, all the usual social problems associated with that. But how can anyone possibly be prepared to have the principal put his hand on your shoulder as you walk in and ask you to step into his office? I imagine that families of military personnel feel that way when there's a government car in the driveway.

She was a pretty, quiet little girl; the one you seat next to the talkers to help maintain some control. On an interest survey I had them all fill out, she said she wanted to be an actress or a "vetranaran". She smiled shyly when I made bad jokes, and looked properly solemn when I reminded the class for the fifth time to be quiet. She was eager to pass out papers and stayed after to tell me about her hamster (or was it a guinea pig?). She had a small group of friends, and they shared the same table for breakfast and lunch. They laughed their little-girl laughs and looked at boys. She played an instrument in band, although I'm ashamed to admit I don't know which one, and she was trying out for basketball.

I had exactly one and a half hours to get through my shock and grief so I could be there for my kids when they arrived. Some of the older teachers said, "You'll get used to it after a few times". Dear God, do they hear themselves?! I DON'T WANT TO GET USED TO THE DEATH OF A 13 YEAR OLD CHILD! Not her, not one of MY kids.

I always think that I have some professional distance from my kids, and that while I care for them, I'm not this attached. Somehow, life always reminds me that once they walk into my classroom, they are mine, like it or not.

During my planning period, the principal called me to come down to the office. Dreading the conversation, I was greeted with the sight of a grieving family, devastated by two bullets; one killed their youngest daughter, the other put her sister into a coma. A woman I've never met asked if I was me. When I said yes, she hugged me so tightly I almost stopped breathing. Sobs wracked her body as she choked out how much her daughter had loved my class, and how she was excited about a project we were beginning this week. Screw composure, I lost it. The rest of my classes saw me cry- and I held them as they cried, too. I don't care if we don't learn one thing on the list of important crap- this year, all I want to make sure every one of my kids knows is that they are loved.

Hope your day was better.

9 Comments:

  • At 8:12 PM, Blogger Derek said…

    dunno what to say.. thats horrible. were they just at the wrong place at the wrong time, or?

    i remember when councilers came in when i was in grade 6 or 7.. a girl in my classes mom died.. (her dad died 2-3 years earier) i wasnt that good of friend with her at the time, but it was still very sad..

    i cant imagine Tsarnia.. lets just pray thats the only one this year.. :(

     
  • At 8:47 PM, Blogger Seeker said…

    Damn darlin' what a fucked up way to start a school year! If you get a chance and it isnt to hard to write can you tell us the story of what actually happened to her?

    In mine eyes things always happen for a reason even when it all seems so senseless. Take what you can and learn from it so that you can grow and help teach others what knowledge you have gained (You seem damn good at it babe).

    Big hug

     
  • At 9:13 PM, Blogger Tsarina said…

    Thanks, guys. Ilia and her sister were in front of their apartment, listening to music and studying. There was a drive-by shooting (target is assumed to be an upstairs neighbor), and the two girls were shot on their own front doorstep. Ilia was conscious when paramedics arrived, she asked for her mother (who witnessed the whole thing from their window) and died. Her sister is not expected to live- she is 15. Their father was a drug counselor who was killed by a drug addict two years ago. They had four older brothers and several neices and nephews (one of whom also witnessed this). I, too, believe things happen for a reason, but honestly, right now, I don't give a fuck what the reason is- this is fucking wrong.

     
  • At 2:16 PM, Blogger Derek said…

    I couldnt get the out of head last night, so i ended up writting.. this came out. I dunno, im my own hardest critic, but regardless it still says what i wanted to get across

    Butterflies beating wings there
    Hurricane of destruction here
    The winds felt throughout the world
    Tears there, downpour here
    The pain felt a world away
    A beautiful smile there
    Taken away forever here
    An innocent life there
    Unjustly taken here
    No reason, no comfort, no justice
    What’s lost is gone
    Never to return from there to here
    What’s left behind can never be taken
    Only shared
    The time you’ve had, the memories you’ve kept
    Is not just all you have
    It is everything you have left
    No life is truly lost until it is forgotten
    Share her memory, keep her alive
    Never falter, Never forget

     
  • At 6:07 PM, Blogger Tsarina said…

    Thanks, guys. I spoke with her mom again today- her sister is still hanging on (to the surprise of her doctors), so even though it's a tiny one, there's still a glimmer of hope. My kids asked if we could take up a collection for her family- I was so proud; here none of them have two nickels, but they're willing to give what they have to someone else; I love them.

    Derek, you are beautiful. Thankyou.

    To everyone who is a regular visitor, especially those who have jumped to defend me lately- I love you all. Your friendship is as real as people I see every day, and I thank you all for that- you make me smile when I need it, and you bring me back to reality when I'm wrapped up in my own pettiness. You are creative, talented individuals, and I am blessed that you came into my life when I needed you. I just wanted to be sure you knew that.

     
  • At 1:23 PM, Blogger Jason said…

    Tsarina,

    My condelences on the loss of your student. What a blessing you gave to the girls' mother to share your grief with her. I'm sure it helps with her grief to know the impact her daughter had on your life.

    God Bless.

     
  • At 9:11 PM, Blogger Tsarina said…

    Jason, thank you for your comments. I'm not really sure what I have done for her mother besides being another person who loved her child- maybe that is comforting, I pray that I will never have to find out first hand.

    One bright note-- her sister is showing some increased brain activity!!! Please ask whatever higher power you believe in to let what is meant to happen do so quickly and spare this poor mother the agony of not knowing.

     
  • At 9:30 PM, Blogger Katrina said…

    I am so sorry. I lost a student to suicide my first year teaching...It was absolutely awful...

    That poor family....two children..I will keep the family and you in my prayers....

     
  • At 5:54 AM, Blogger Nord said…

    This brought me tears, I am really sorry for this happening. It doesn't happen here (no guns). It must be awful to lose a student. I hope her sister wakes up and her mum will not lose both her girls. My thoughs are with you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home