Tsarina's World

The musings, rants, and general complaints of a schoolteacher in the MidWest. I have no real social life, which sucks for me personally, but makes my dog happy- he is the center of my universe! Come on in, take your shoes off and stay a while... who wants pie and coffee?

Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Tornadoes and WalMart and Care Bears, Oh My!

I'm exhausted: today could be called Tornado Tuesday. Storms and tornadoes raced through the area today (fortunately, my county was spared the worst of it). However, there was a tornado on the ground for about 20 minutes in area where my parents live. In fact, if you were to believe the weatherman, it was tearing through their living room. I really hate it when the fucking bastards say shit like, "well, at least it's not near a heavily-populated area". I mean, for Christ's sake, people live there- are they any less important than some fucking city-dweller? So, I spent about an hour trying to reach my parents, with no luck. While I may have had an occasional dark thought (or frequent, whatever) about them, I don't really want them crushed under their house. Finally, I was able to get through, and my dad (who was strangely sober) said that the tornado went through the field about 50 yards behind the house, and he had 4" hail come through the garage roof. But, fortunately they were fine. My sister's house ( I didn't even know she was in a warning area) sustained a lot more damage from winds and hail, but they were all ok, too. I was on my way to town to grocery shop when I heard the sirens go off in the distance. As I imagined being herded into the middle of WalMart with the other shoppers to wait out the warning, Jay's post popped into my mind. I turned around immediately- I decided if today was my day to die, I'd do it in my car or my own house, and not there!

This was a cute quiz that I liked; you can decide for yourself:

Bondage Bear
Bondage Bear


Which Dysfunctional Care Bear Are You?
brought to you by Quizilla


5 Comments:

  • At 12:11 PM, Blogger Tsarina said…

    You know, I've seen a lot of tornadoes in my life, and the sheer POWER of them is awe-inspiring. The first one was when I was about three or four- we were at my grandmother's kitchen table and she got this weird look on her face. She just grabbed me an my older sister and yelled, "RUN"! As we were running towards the storm cellar, we saw it lift a huge old oak tree, roots and all and set it down on it's branches! It then hit the house, which was built in the early 1800's and the only damage was the loss of the roof and some windows! So, yeah, I think it's exciting to watch, but when you CAN'T see where it is, it's terrifying!

    Glad you like it- tell your friend to be as big a hypocrite now as she can... I don't know what it's like for teachers there, but here, we have random drug tests!

     
  • At 8:48 PM, Blogger Derek said…

    anyone remember when those huge tornadoes went through florida back in 98', killed a couple people around the orlando area.. like near disney world.. yeah i was on vacation during that.. woke up and thought my brother was flashing the lights on/off or something.. turns out the lightning was just so constant that it was completely lighting the room.. so i did the dumb thing and went to the window.. was crazy outside.. so i just went back to bed (meh i was 10, i didnt think anything of it)

     
  • At 11:55 AM, Blogger JamDaddy said…

    Tornados are awesome. We used to go cut our wood for the year after they hit in the mountains. Nothing makes you think about how random they can be like some of the things you find afterward. We have found a complete undamaged deck with grill in the woods. It was just picked up from some where and placed in the woods still standing. A house foundation, no house, nothing, just a lonely big wheel where the garage was. These things just make you stop and think.

     
  • At 7:18 PM, Blogger Traci Dolan said…

    Ahhh Tsarina, now I know who you are!! I've been here before and should come back more often. Tornados don't hit here much but I did see the destructive path one left going up the side of a mountain!! One that we had been on just 20 minutes before. Nothing to sneeze at. Thanks for visiting my blog... I shall return.

     
  • At 8:38 PM, Blogger Tsarina said…

    Derek, count yourself damn lucky! Glad you survived!

    JD, I wish the wind would deposit a full deck in my yard, I just keep having houses land on my sister!

    Inanna, thanks for coming by- I love your writing and try to visit you when I can!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home