Tsarina's World

The musings, rants, and general complaints of a schoolteacher in the MidWest. I have no real social life, which sucks for me personally, but makes my dog happy- he is the center of my universe! Come on in, take your shoes off and stay a while... who wants pie and coffee?

Monday, June 28, 2004

Beginnings

There is something liberating about doing absolutely nothing all day. Just sitting on my patio with a book and a soda, watching my neighbors mow and trim and paint. I know they are all wondering why I'm not working on scraping and painting; they probably think I'm lazy. Quite frankly, My Dear... I feel that I have earned, yes EARNED this respite, and no one is going to make me feel bad. I just realized that the one-year anniversary of Joe's departure passed by without my noticing, so I am enjoying this solitude now. While I still harbor a LOT of anger about how he left (in the middle of the night), and the fact that he 'borrowed' a shitload of money beforehand, I feel so... relieved. It's sad that after five years, I have not missed him once: I have definitely missed his income, but not him, and not that fucking bird of his. My friend, Diana, was asking why we had stayed together for so long, and my explanation sounded so lame. He needed me. I did his laundry and fixed his meals. I arranged doctor's appointments and sent flowers to his mom for her birthday. I was his cheerleader, his maid, and the person who silently accepted all of the criticism and insults he wanted to hurl. Until one day... The Day I Yelled Back! He was completely unprepared for that- he thought that if he moved out, I would be lost and apologize for my behavior. Then he would move back, and things would go back to "normal". The only thing is, I didn't grovel, I calmly asked him to sign over the house to me (we had just bought it, and I made the first payment), told him I was keeping the dog, and wished him the best. Yes, my friends, I behaved in a relatively dignified manner, even arranging for my brother-in-law to help move the rest of his stuff out (of course, that was before I realized he was never going to pay me back). He went nuts when he realized that things were not following his plan: he has some emotional problems that he's supposed to take medication for, and I think he screwed up his meds (I wasn't there to set them out for him). The neighbors and police have kept a close eye on me, for which I'll always be grateful.

But now, my friends, I think it's time to move on. Time to meet new people, and DEFINITELY time to have sex again! I've gone on one date, with someone I met online. He was beautiful, but did things like use the word 'fuck' loudly in public. I mean, I can and do swear like a sailor, but not in front of strangers. It's called common courtesy. So, where exactly do I meet men? I know, I'll be starting a new job, but, quite frankly, most teachers are stuffy and boring (see post 'crack and gum'). Joe was the guy everyone thought I SHOULD like, and we see where that got me. Is it too much to ask for an intellectual tattooed biker that plays the drums? Someone with dredlocks who reads and has a social conscience? Maybe so, and that's ok. I think it's important to have an idea what you are looking for (intellectual, social conscience are prerequisites, while the dreds and the drums are just suggestions). In the meantime, friends, today is a day of celebration! Take a minute out of your life and smile. Smile because you didn't get stuck in traffic. Smile because you saw a cute baby. Or, if nothing else, smile because I am feeling finally feeling good about myself again.

6 Comments:

  • At 7:21 PM, Blogger ... said…

    I love the new template, it gives your site an optimistic view.

    Sorry bout Joe, man did he have problems.

    How's the sucidal kid? Is he doing better?

    I have been nominated on The Pink Bee 2004 (Summer) Best Blog, and if you could please go to my site for the details. Basically, I've been nominated, but I'm not on the ballot yet, so if you could, NOMINATE ME! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! -thanks-

     
  • At 9:00 PM, Blogger Tsarina said…

    Your wish is my command! I went, I saw, I voted for you!

    I like the new template, too, I feel like I'm moving in a positive direction, and it helps show it!

    Jake was better on Friday, but really depressed again yesterday. It seems like when he's by himself all day, he is worse. I'm going to town tomorrow, and he's going to start teaching me how to play chess (I really do want to learn!) His friends are going to be coming back from camp and vacations soon, so I'm hoping that will help him. Thanks for asking about him- each one of 'my' kids has a special place in my heart, and I like to know that other ppl are pulling for them too!

    Good luck in the contest!

     
  • At 4:05 AM, Blogger Esther said…

    It is liberating to make a decision and then act on it. I'm glad that you've experienced that in your life :)

     
  • At 8:18 PM, Blogger Rita said…

    Bravo. The hardest thing in the world to do is to give up a "comfortable" less-than-perfect relationship in exchange for being alone. Sounds like you have done all the hard work, and now it is time for the reward.

    I'm all for waiting for Mr. Right, but spending a little one-on-one time with Mr. Right Now while you are waiting isn't such a terrible idea, so don't be afraid to date outside of your comfort zone. You will be glad you did.

     
  • At 2:02 AM, Blogger Tsarina said…

    To Hell with Mr. Right Now; I'd be happy with Mr. Breathing!!!

     
  • At 3:37 PM, Blogger ... said…

    It's good to hear Jake's doing better. How is the Chess coming along?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home