Tsarina's World

The musings, rants, and general complaints of a schoolteacher in the MidWest. I have no real social life, which sucks for me personally, but makes my dog happy- he is the center of my universe! Come on in, take your shoes off and stay a while... who wants pie and coffee?

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Back To Work

Well, the contract was ratified, and we returned to work last Monday. The changes, you ask? Nada. The high school day is slightly shorter (10 minutes), but that's it. And my raise? Originally, the district was offering a pretty good chunk of change to those of us lower on the pay scale, and a smaller one to the top end...you know, the people on our bargaining committee... My raise now is around 50 dollars a month. Whoopie!!! For that, my kids feel like they were abandoned for 8 days.

And they do feel that they were abandoned. As I've mentioned, it takes our kids a long time to trust people, and this class is especially tough. Now, with many of them, it's back to the beginning. I'll have to admit, though, that on Monday when we came back, I was overwhelmed with hugs before school as they came in. It's an amazing feeling to know that someone is so happy to see you, and I am so blessed to be able to do what I do.

I'm supposed to take James to get his grandma's Christmas present this morning. We went Monday after school and ordered her a beautiful picture of the Chicago skyline with the water moving in the foreground. He's out of minutes on his phone, and he stayed at an aunt's last night with no phone, so I can't reach him. That's ok with me, as it's snowing and I don't really want to drive the 45 minutes to pick it up. If I don't hear from him pretty soon, we'll just go tomorrow after school. I think I may go get a Christmas tree this afternoon and see if Josh wants to go.

Josh is in my homeroom now, and I wish I could get him into my class. He receives special ed services, and two of the teachers he has to take classes with are TERRIBLE. They both are constant screamers, and they don't seem to understand that their kids don't always learn like other kids. His reading teacher was explaining that she simply gives him a book to read and expects him to read it and answer questions. She feels that the only thing special ed means is that they receive extra time to do things. My jaw dropped. I have seen his IEP, and I've worked with him. His reading comprehension is extremely low. (Actually, I'd guess he's at about the same level as James, although James never received special ed services). If you ask him to read a couple of paragraphs aloud and then talk about it, he can understand, but to do it on his own, he's lost. This is the only school I've ever been to where the spec ed teachers are not rabid advocates for their students...it's creepy.

I'd like to ask you to say a prayer for Kendall (real name). He's one of my kids. Yesterday before school, he came up, looking sad. That's not like him, so I asked how he was doing. He told me that his mom had died the previous night. I asked why he was at school, and he said, "I don't have anywhere else to go". My heart broke. His birth mom died when he was five, and he was adopted by this mom. She was in her 30s. Apparently she had an infection that moved into her heart. I referred him to my favorite counselor, Brad. Kendall said that talking with Brad helped a lot, but I'm worried about him, especially with the holiday so near. Your good thoughts and prayers for him would help.

Have a great weekend, and know that I feel blessed to know all of you.

3 Comments:

  • At 5:56 AM, Blogger JamDaddy said…

    Special Ed = More time to do things. Guess the 10 minutes less you got in contracting should go to the Sped teacher so she can stay longer with her students. I wish life was so simple for the rest of us.
    I will say some prayers for K. Hope your holidays are wonderful.

     
  • At 11:55 AM, Blogger Traci Dolan said…

    Prayers to Kendall and an asskicking to the Spec Ed teachers. Wish I could hug K. myself.

     
  • At 11:40 AM, Blogger Derek said…

    shitty to hear. poor kid.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home