Tsarina's World

The musings, rants, and general complaints of a schoolteacher in the MidWest. I have no real social life, which sucks for me personally, but makes my dog happy- he is the center of my universe! Come on in, take your shoes off and stay a while... who wants pie and coffee?

Thursday, September 30, 2004

Bits & Pieces

Geez, another week is almost over. With the long commute, I get home around six, and go to bed around 9, so I have very little time for anything any more. I'm torn over the idea of moving if I get hired for a second year. I mean, I love my house, and I know I could not find one like it for the same price closer to the city. On the other hand, I'd have more money to spend on a house if I wasn't spending fifty bucks a week on gas. I have a tough time making decisions that are a conflict of emotion and rationality.

It's been a tough week- my fourth hour class is trying to drive me nuts. I finally asked one of the counselors if he would come observe and offer me some advice. You know what he said? Essentially, he told me I needed to "raise my voice". Shit, I thought I WAS raising my voice! I have never been accused of being meek, but he said I'm not firm enough with a couple of them. Let me assure you, there have been a few nights where I thought I was going to cry because I was so mean to them! Besides, I feel like it's not fair to the half of the class that is behaving to have to hear me bitch all the time. I guess I have to try to imitate my mom to get through to some of them... sigh.

Ok, I gotta go- two parent letters to write (one good, one not so good), then it's off to bed. I'll stop by this weekend. Have a good night!


4 Comments:

  • At 10:13 PM, Blogger JamDaddy said…

    One great thing about problem children (and adults) is that they usually sit in the back or on the side of a classroom. That way if they want to become a problem everyone can easily notice them. Try walking as you teach, sitting on the trouble makers desk with your back to them, effectively cutting them off from the class. This is a non-verbal way to get the message across to them and the class.

    Another method would be to have one of them try to teach a lesson. This works best if a friend is screwing off. Tell them they have to be the teacher. When their partner starts in again make the "new teacher" write a note and send his friend to the office. It will seperate them and make them think twice next time. Also the trouble make will hate to have the clowns ignore him.

     
  • At 12:18 AM, Blogger Seeker said…

    Ok nice post and all blah blah. You didn't sign up for my webring girly! Go to my blog and set up so I can approve you and get you involved.

     
  • At 9:08 AM, Blogger Derek said…

    dang problem kids.. my math teacher just centres them out and tries to embarass them infront of everyone. It works, but sometimes hes pretty mean about it.

    woot for the weekend! have a kinda sorta date at the movies (how original eh) then paintball all day sunday with like 250-300 people.. cant wait

     
  • At 10:19 AM, Blogger Tsarina said…

    JD- I have tried many of the techniques you suggested; these are just kids who are going through 8th grade for the second or third time, and they don't give a shit. On Thurs, the girl who is the biggest problem was gone, and everyone else fell into line. I've also started giving out candy to anyone who does not get kept after class for misbehavior (behold the power of Tootsie Rolls), and keeping the talkers for 3 minutes of just staring at them (they only get 4 minutes until their next class, so this really pushes them to get to class on time). Yesterday went really well, too, so we'll see.

    Seeker- Yeah, yeah, yeah...

    Derek- *sigh* a date! Have fun- I miss dating. Well, ok, not really dating, but I miss free movies and dinner!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home