Tsarina's World

The musings, rants, and general complaints of a schoolteacher in the MidWest. I have no real social life, which sucks for me personally, but makes my dog happy- he is the center of my universe! Come on in, take your shoes off and stay a while... who wants pie and coffee?

Sunday, July 25, 2004

Snack Time

Have you all been following Rita's story (Diary-A)? If not, you need to leave here immediately, go to the beginning and start reading. Go ahead, I'll wait. Nothing I have to say is as interesting; damn, that girl can tell a story! I love the way she includes a song at the beginning of each post to set the tone- I may actually steal that at some point. However, for today's post, I thought I'd share something that I LOVE--(minds out of the gutter)-- cooking! If I may boast a little, I'm pretty good at it too. My mom is a TERRIBLE cook, and it became a survival skill in our house. I rarely follow a recipe exactly as it's written, because, quite frankly, I'm arrogant about shit like that and I know I can make it better! In fact, I once had the new wife of an ex-bf call me to ask for a cookie recipe because she was sick of him telling her how much better mine were! Did I give it to her? HELL YEAH, I'm not one of those insecure women who is afraid to give away her "secrets". Besides, I felt I owed her for taking that jerk off the dating market! I also know that two people can follow the same recipe and get different results- my mom uses the same cookie recipe and hers are hard as hockey pucks! I don't know what the difference is...

One of my friends is a gourmet on the grill! She didn't have an oven for a year, and learned to make all sorts of things, even baked cakes, on the grill. I have not mastered the grill (well, the ex took ours, so I don't have one to practice with, but I really am not that interested).  I can, however, create masterpieces in a kitchen! These are not the extravagant, "which fork do I use" crap that the food channel is always pushing. No, ladies and gentlemen, I cook for real people who may or may not have mastered eating utensils. There is no pretension in my kitchen- anyone with an appetite and an opinion is welcome!

A couple of years ago, the ex wanted to have a Superbowl party. This gave me the opportunity to cook for a group of people who appreciated it, so I was happy. I made a buttload of food, and every bit was gone by the end of the game! My favorite was the jalapeno poppers, so I'm going to give you the recipe- it's easy, and they're MUCH better than the frozen crap you buy and bake. If you make them, and change the recipe making it better, I'd appreciate a note- I'm always looking for new ideas!

Tsarina's Jalapeno Poppers

25 fresh jalapenos, slice lengthwise and remove seeds and stems, then rinse and drain on paper towels
1/2 c. yellow cornmeal
1/4 c. yellow cornmeal
1 c. flour
1/2 c. flour
1 t. baking powder
1 T. corn oil
corn oil for frying
1 c. beer
grated cheese (I like a variety: pepper jack, colby, or mozarella)

Put enough oil for frying in skillet (3 1/2 " is good) and heat on med-low heat.

In mixing bowl, combine 1/2 c. cornmeal, 1c. flour, and baking powder. Add beer and 1 T. oil, mix thoroughly and set aside.

Mix 1/4 c. cornmeal and 1/2 c. flour in a separate bowl.

Stuff each pepper with cheese, then roll in flour mixture and dip in batter. Then roll in flour mixture one more time.  Carefully drop each pepper in the hot oil and cook for 1-3 minutes, turning frequently to brown evenly. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.
**Note- most people serve these with ranch dressing, however, I like to also serve a sweet and sour sauce (I'll give you the recipe later)**

 

 

2 Comments:

  • At 5:31 PM, Blogger Rosal said…

    I spend all this money on vegiterian cookbooks and comehome to page through them and find recipes full of fish, and eggs. And I click on this and find a recipe for things I love, almost compleatly vegan! Yay!

     
  • At 6:04 PM, Blogger Tsarina said…

    I have made this with soy cheese, it's ok, but I don't like the texture. However, if you are used to it, that shouldn't be a problem. Enjoy!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home